Friday, May 28, 2010

Thoughts in Solitude

Time has caught up with me in these last few months. School has been hectic, and so has life. There have been some issues going on that have really been stressful and its taken a lot of prayer and conversations with the Lord to get me through; but He is ever faithful. I just wanted to post a quick note of encouragement. One day the President of my school presented me with a small piece of paper that had this prayer printed on it:

My Lord God

I have no idea where I am going.

I do not see the road ahead of me.

I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself,

and the fact that I think I am following

Your will does not mean

that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that my desire to please You

does in fact please You.

And I hope that I have that desire

in all that I am doing.

I hope that I will never do anything

apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this

You will lead me by the right road

though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust You always

though I may seem to be lost

and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear,

for You are ever with me,

and You will never leave me

to face my perils alone.

- Thomas Merton (1915-1968)

Even though I have no idea where I am going and worry about where You will lead me, I know that there is nothing to fear because You promised in Your word that You would never leave me, nor forsake me. Thank you Lord for keeping me daily and always loving me no matter how badly I may mar things up.

I love the Serenity Prayer (even though it is a bit cliché)

God, grant me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change;

Courage to change the things I can;

And wisdom to know the difference.

Let God guide you every day and He will lead you into the path He has prepared for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment